The following is an internal procedure for Huntingdon Piranhas Swimming Club to ensure any internal disputes are handled correctly from the outset.
Most clubs from time to time have disputes and these can usually be resolved amicably between the individuals concerned or involved.
There are occasions when a problem arises in a club, for example fighting or bullying, where immediate action is required. A temporary suspension or exclusion from a single training session can be given by the coaches. A report should then be made, within 24 hours, to the welfare officer, who then should report back to the committee, who should follow the procedures outlined below.
Any swimmer/parent with any grievance should put this in writing to the committee and following procedures take place. Letters to be handed to either a coach, the welfare officer or the chairperson.
All matters should be discussed before or after a coaching session and coaches should not be expected to deal with issues during water time.
- On receipt of the dispute every effort will be made to resolve it by informal discussion with either the chairperson or welfare officer.
- If no outcome from discussion is resolved, or it is necessary to discipline a member, the club will set up a panel to deal with the matter.
- The panel will consist of three persons, the chairperson, the welfare officer and one other.
- The welfare officer will notify both parties of the date, time, and the venue of the hearing and the names of the panel members. Both parties will be given copies of all the papers and every effort will be made to hold the hearing within seven days of the receipt of the dispute.
- If either party is under eighteen years of age they will be advised of their right to be accompanied by a parent or guardian to help them present their case to the panel.
- Both parties will be allowed to call witnesses.
- The hearing will be made as informal as possible.
- The complaint/incident will have to be presented first with evidence and the accused have the right to reply.
- Witnesses should wait outside the hearing room until they are called.
- Previous incidents may be taken into consideration during the disciplinary proceedings but not during the hearing of the relevant incident.
- The welfare officer will make notes of the hearing and the panel will make every effort to announce their decision verbally to all parties without delay followed by written confirmation to reach all parties within two days.
Huntingdon Piranhas Swimming Club endeavour to ensure that all parties are treated fairly, the complainant has the opportunity to present the case and the accused has the opportunity to respond.